Ingredients for preparing Sweet Potato and Dal Curry
- Vaal Dal – ½ cup
- Sweet Potatoes: peeled and diced – 1 no.
- Onion: diced – 1 no.
- Ginger: grated – 1 piece
- Garlic: minced – 2 cloves
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tbs
- Oil – 1 tbs
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 stalk
- Coriander Leaves – 1 stalk
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Steps for preparing Sweet Potato and Dal Curry
- Cook the vaal dal in a pressure cooker by adding salt and sufficient water.
- Heat the oil in another pan and add the mustard seeds. When they sputter, add the curry leaves and onions.
- Saute until the onions are transparent, then add the ginger and garlic.
- Stir fry for a minute. Add the sweet potatoes and the sambar powder and stir well to coat the sweet potato with the spices. Cook until the sweet potatoes start to soften.
- Add the cooked vaal dal and mix well. Bring the curry to boil, lower the heat, cover with a lid, and let it boil until the curry is ready. Add water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste and mix in the coriander powder. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.