Ingredients for preparing Dal Curry
- Toor Dal - ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Tomatoes: chopped - 3 nos.
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Tamarind medium gooseberry sized ball - 1 no.
- Jaggery (Sarkkara) - ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Black pepper - ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 ½ tbsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 7 nos.
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Crushed Garlic - 2 cloves
- Curry Leaves - 1 stalks
- Chopped Coriander Leaves - 1 stalks
Steps for preparing Dal Curry
- Roast the toor dal till light golden colour.
- For preparing masala, roast cumin seeds, black pepper, coriander powder, dry red chillies and asafoetida powder. When cool, grind to powder and bottle it for future use.
- Pressure cook the toor dal, tomatoes and turmeric powder along with water till done. Strain the water and mash well, set aside.
- Squeeze out the juice from the tamarind. Add jaggery to the tamarind juice and mix well.
- Add it into the dal along with 1or ½teaspoons prepared masala powder. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a vessel, add mustard seeds, crushed garlic and curry leaves for the seasoning. Then pour this seasoning to the dal mixture and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and garnish with the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Share This Article